Dr Jan Herrington
Professor, School of Education
Dr Jenni Parker
Lecturer, School of Education
Tutor, School of Education
In this project, we used a design-based research study to explore the impact of an authentic learning framework for designing and implementing a 1st year university unit for education students. The pedagogical framework used to guide the design and implementation of the course was based on authentic learning principles, community of inquiry (CoI) elements, technologies as cognitive tools, together with access to a range of open educational resources.
- 1st iteration 2011: Companion website
- 2nd iteration 2012: Companion website
- 3rd iteration 2013: Companion website
- Journal articles:
- Herrington, J., Parker, J., & Boase-Jelinek, D. (2014). Connected authentic learning: Reflection and intentional learning. Australian Journal of Education, 58 (1). pp. 23-35.
- Herrington, J., & Parker, J. (2013). Emerging technologies as cognitive tools for authentic learning. British Journal of Educational Technology, 44 (4). pp. 607-615.
- Boase-Jelinek, D., Parker, J., & Herrington, J. (2013). Student reflection and learning through peer reviews. Issues in Educational Research, 23 (2). pp. 119-131.
- Conference papers:
- Boase-Jelinek, D., Parker, J., & Herrington, J. (2013). Peer reviews: What can we learn from our students? In: Teaching and Learning Forum 2013: Design, develop, evaluate – The core of the learning environment, 7 – 8 February 2013, Murdoch University, Murdoch, W.A
- Herrington, J.& Parker, J., & Boase-Jelinek, D. (2013). Social presence and participatory media in authentic learning. In: Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia (ODLAA) 2013 Distance Education Summit, 4 – 6 February 2013, Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific Hotel, Sydney
- Herrington, J., Parker, J., & Boase-Jelinek, D. (2012). An authentic exam: Paradox or partnership? In: 27th Annual Research Forum (Western Australian Institute for Educational Research Inc) Transforming practice: The value of educational research, 11 August 2012, University of Notre Dame, Fremantle, Western Australia.
- Parker, J., Boase-Jelinek, D., & Herrington, J. (2011). Perceptions and reflections: Using Skype chat to build a community of learners. In: E-LEARN 2011 – World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare & Higher Education, 18-21 October 2011, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.